Monday, July 19, 2010

Painful Summer for the Little Guy

My little fellow has had a bit of a rough summer, mixed with some good experiences, too, thank God!  He started off his 'out of school' summer schedule by attending a day football camp for a week, and followed that week up with trekking off to Arkansas for a week long Boy Scout adventure with Hubby.

They came home, my sister had her wedding, and The Little Guy was required to wear a tuxedo for the first time.  He was very excited, which I was very thankful for, and looked smashing in his formal duds.

The Monday following the wedding, June 21st to be exact, he fell in the driveway while skateboarding and fractured his left collar bone.  The unlucky duck has been wearing a figure eight brace ever since.  He made it through our vacation to Canada and the brace didn't hinder anything, which was a great thing.

We get back from Canada, and he leaves town with his faj last Thursday to head to the Texas coast to meet up with another family who has a vacation home there.  They were supposed to head back yesterday, but he asked his dad if they could stay just one more day.  Dad told The Little Guy to call Mom and make sure it was ok.  I said it was fine with me, after all, he was having a blast hunting for crabs at night and fishing by day.

Then, this morning I got a phone call at 3:00 a.m.  The Little Guy tells me he is headed to an ER for stitches.  He was running on the beach, obviously in the dark and in the wee hours of the morning considering the time of the phone call, and something sliced his foot open.  He didn't know it if was glass, a rock or a shell.... I guess it didn't really matter. 

I pushed away the questions I wanted to ask his father right then and there, such as "What in the heck was he doing running on the beach at 2 a.m. and are you sober as you drive this child to the hospital?" since I was several hours away and the situation was out of my control.  I then lay in bed and pray for my son's safety and healing, hoping that I can get a bit more rest before having to get up for work at 4:45.  All was well, I called back a bit later and the doc had him all stitched up with a prescription for antibiotics.

I'll leave the questions for a conversation in person just between adults.  And in the meantime just be thankful that nothing worse happened.  I can't wait for The Little Guy to get back to town today.  We have about four weeks until school starts.  I'm hoping that there are no more injuries in this child's future.  Ever.  We'll see... I'm sure all the other mothers of rough and tumble 12 year old boys are telling me to 'just wait.' That more is coming.  OMG.